"Failed to load HTML file" - 2.3.0-rc2

Failed to load HTML file: Please check your server configuration. You may want to whitelist “*.html” files from the “plugins” directory. The HTTP status code is 404 for URL “plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html”

I get this message on my dashboard.

I upgraded from 2.2.2 and this is a fresh installation. 2.2.2 did not have this problem.

Thanks for reporting. If you open the file: plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html directly, what message do you see?

Do you have access to your server error log which would likely contain an error message?

When I try to open that file directly in my browser, I get a 404 error message.

The error message in the error log is:

[Fri May 23 02:16:10.011866 2014] [core:crit] [pid 14069] (13)Permission denied: [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:36804] AH00529: /public_html/piwik/plugins/ZenMode/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that ‘/public_html/piwik/plugins/ZenMode/’ is executable

I created a Hello World html file and could open it directly while the html file was sitting in Zeitgeist, but not when sitting in ZenMode. Any significance to that?

I fixed the problem by changing the permissions from 750 to 755 of:

/plugins/ZenMode/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/

I’m pretty sure that I did not change all of these permissions. I updated automatically.

I had the exact same problem! After an update (that was done through the web interface, automatically), I got the same error. Manually changing the permission on those files helped.

(Running on a CentOS Linux on WebFaction.)

This does not seem to be a widespread problem?

I just updated to 2.3.0 and this error occurred.

Same problem here…
"Failed to load HTML file: Please check your server configuration. You may want to whitelist “*.html” files from the “plugins” directory. The HTTP status code is 403 for URL “plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html”

I had the same problem after upgrading from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0. Changing the directory permission fixed the problem.

Me too, auto updated to 2.3.0 (from 2.2.2) and got this error.

The file permissions are not the problem for the “403” error. I guess the .htaccess in the /plugins direktory is the problem…

Hi everybody ! I had the same error and the changing of these directories permissions fixed this problem. But not changing the directory tmp permission as I red in a post.

Hi

I have the same problemMe too, with an auto updated to 2.3.0 (from 2.2.2).
I manualy change the directory permissions from 750 to 755, for ZenMode (and all sub-folders) and it solves the issue.

same for me. CHMOD 775 helped - same as vincent3569

Same for me - CHMOD 775 did the trick

I had the same problem.
Thanks to the information to change the permissions it all works fine now!

Change to: 755

Changing the permissions as per the post by DavidY as follows fixed the problem.

I fixed the problem by changing the permissions from 750 to 755 of:

/plugins/ZenMode/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/

Hi everyone, We had same issue after upgrading to 2.3.0. Our piwik instance is hosted on IIS 8.0 and we solved the issue by removing *.html extension from Request Filtering.

I had the same issue from the auto update. I think the problem may be a syntax error in the .htaccess. Here is my post from another thread:

"Might want to check the plugins .htaccess file. In mine, I saw this about halfway down:

Allow to serve static files which are safe

<Files ~ “.(test.php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$”>

I changed it to:

Allow to serve static files which are safe

<Files ~ “.(test\php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$”>

(Note the php entry)

This solved the 403 error for me without changing permissions."

Same issue here: "Failed to load HTML file: Please check your server configuration. You may want to whitelist “*.html” files from the “plugins” directory. The HTTP status code is 403 for URL “plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html”

Attempting to directly access the file produces a 403 Forbidden for me.

My .htaccess for the /plugins directory is:

# First, deny access to all files in this directory
<Files "*">
<IfModule mod_version.c>
	<IfVersion < 2.4>
		Order Deny,Allow
		Deny from All
	</IfVersion>
	<IfVersion >= 2.4>
		Require all denied
	</IfVersion>
</IfModule>
<IfModule !mod_version.c>
	<IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
		Order Deny,Allow
		Deny from All
	</IfModule>
	<IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
		Require all denied
	</IfModule>
</IfModule>
</Files>
# Allow to serve static files which are safe
<Files ~ "\.(test\.php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$">
<IfModule mod_version.c>
	<IfVersion < 2.4>
		Order Allow,Deny
		Allow from All
	</IfVersion>
	<IfVersion >= 2.4>
		Require all granted
	</IfVersion>
</IfModule>
<IfModule !mod_version.c>
	<IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
		Order Allow,Deny
		Allow from All
	</IfModule>
	<IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
		Require all granted
	</IfModule>
</IfModule>
</Files>

Removing the “.” before php in <Files ~ “.(test.php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$”> makes no difference.

Anybody knowledgeable about .htaccess files that can spot the issue here???

@bijoyparackal

Hi everyone, We had same issue after upgrading to 2.3.0. Our piwik instance is hosted on IIS 8.0 and we solved the issue by removing *.html extension from Request Filtering.

Thanks. I’ve made this change in Piwik core: http://dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/5255