2.3 - not possible to generate insights

We are on piwik 2.3. I notice the following:

Movers and Shakers
It is not possible to generate insights for this date and period combination.
Insights Overview
It is not possible to generate insights for this date and period combination.

whenever I select a date range. When I use one of the defined ranges, such as day, week, month or year,
these two areas are filled. Even if I pick a date range that matches the month, still does not populate. I
have not found anything that give any information on this. Is it not supposed to on a user defined date range?

Thanks,
Douglas

There are only four possibilities for such a case:

• Not enough permission to view the data
  • You are using period=range
  • You are using day=previousX
  • You are using day=lastX

As you mentioned you have selected a ‘range’ period which is currently not supported. The problem is that we cannot really compare the data to anything. Imagine you have selected a range period from “Dec 02 2013 - Dec 10 2013”. Do you want to compare to “Dec 02 2012 - Dec 10 2012”, “Dec 01 2013 - Dec 09 2013”, “Nov 02 2013 - Nov 10 2013” or “Nov 23 2013 - Dec 01 2013”? Surely it would be possible to implement to let you pick to which date you want to compare against but it’s a bit tricky and just didn’t make it into version 1. I’ll create a ticket for this but I can’t promise it’ll be implemented soon.

FYI: If anyone is interested related code is here: matomo/Range.php at master · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub