Visitors In Real Time No Longer Works After 2.5.0 Update: States Referrer type '' is not valid

Visitors In Real Time No Longer Works After 2.5.0 Update: States Referrer type ‘’ is not valid.
Please assist, just upgraded to the 2.5.0 update and now all my real time visits are showing an error and I keep receiving an error “Referrer type ‘’ is not valid.”

Also when I view the visitors tab, Visitors -> Visitor Log I receive this error: Failed to get data from API: Referrer type ‘’ is not valid.#0

Please assist. I should have backed up my database, but did not and upgraded. Now I cannot see how many times my sites have been viewed or from where the hits are coming from. Please assist.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Hello together,

the same error is also used for me after the update to version 2.5.0.

“WARN Live[2014-08-16 10:59:36] [bc64f] Failed to get data from API: Referrer type ‘’ is not valid.#0

Is there a workaround, or must wait for a version upgrade?

Best Regards,

John

Here is a pic of the "Visitors Real Time Error"
Please Assist.

Again, all was fine until the 2.5.0 upgrade.

Thank you.

Hello

I got the same problem after updating PIWIK 2.5.0.

When I click Visitors -> Visitor Log, then error message is appeared.

WARN Live[2014-08-17 12:42:32] [78d6f] Failed to get data from API: Referrer type ‘’ is not valid.#0 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/plugins/Live/Visitor.php(359): Piwik\Plugins\Referrers\getReferrerTypeFromShortName(NULL)#1 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/plugins/Live/Visitor.php(109): Piwik\Plugins\Live\Visitor->getReferrerType()#2 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/plugins/Live/API.php(582): Piwik\Plugins\Live\Visitor->getAllVisitorDetails()#3 [internal function]: Piwik\Plugins\Live\API->Piwik\Plugins\Live{closure}(Object(Piwik\DataTable))#4 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/DataTable.php(408): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)#5 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/DataTable.php(453): Piwik\DataTable->filter(Object(Closure), Array)#6 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/API/ResponseBuilder.php(193): Piwik\DataTable->applyQueuedFilters()#7 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/API/ResponseBuilder.php(91): Piwik\API\ResponseBuilder->handleDataTable(Object(Piwik\DataTable))#8 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/API/Request.php(217): Piwik\API\ResponseBuilder->getResponse(Object(Piwik\DataTable), ‘Live’, ‘getLastVisitsDe…’)#9 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/ViewDataTable/Request.php(48): Piwik\API\Request->process()#10 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/Plugin/ViewDataTable.php(322): Piwik\ViewDataTable\Request->loadDataTableFromAPI(Array)#11 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/Plugin/Visualization.php(166): Piwik\Plugin\ViewDataTable->loadDataTableFromAPI(Array)#12 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/Plugin/ViewDataTable.php(409): Piwik\Plugin\Visualization->buildView()#13 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/Plugin/Report.php(290): Piwik\Plugin\ViewDataTable->render()#14 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/Plugin/Controller.php(317): Piwik\Plugin\Report->render()#15 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/plugins/Live/Controller.php(61): Piwik\Plugin\Controller->renderReport(Object(Piwik\Plugins\Live\Reports\GetLastVisitsDetails))#16 [internal function]: Piwik\Plugins\Live\Controller->indexVisitorLog()#17 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/FrontController.php(576): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#18 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/FrontController.php(86): Piwik\FrontController->doDispatch(NULL, NULL, NULL)#19 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/core/dispatch.php(34): Piwik\FrontController->dispatch()#20 ##HOME_PATH##public_html/Piwik/index.php(47): require_once(’##HOME_PATH##…’)#21 {main}

Visitor Log
Referrer type ‘’ is not valid.

I replace home path with ##HOME_PATH## for security.
I hope this message is helpful to fix this problem.

Thank you very much

I found nothing working post upgrade to 2.5.0. First time I’ve ever had problems. Fixed by rolling back to 2.4.1[/url] and then manually [url=http://piwik.org/docs/update/#3-update-piwik]re-running the upgrade to 2.5.0 by hand.

HTH?

Hi,
had the same issue after upgrading to 2.5.0.
A quick fix which seems to work for me is to prevent the lookup for an empty name in “/Plugins/Referrers/functions.php”.
I just added

if ($name == ''){
  return;
}

immediately before

throw new \Exception("Referrer type '$name' is not valid.");

at line 268 of functions.php

CAVE: Not checked for side effects.

The Workaround from “michael-t-weber” works great.
Occurred up to now no negative effect.

“michael-t-weber” solution works for me, except no contents in Referrer URL column in Visitor Log

Thanks

Which PHP version are you all using? And which operating system? Would be nice to know in case it happens only on some PHP versions.

@ paulatthehug sounds interesting. Are you using any opcache? Which one?

Also if you select the today in Piwik, does this error still occur when the workaround/patch is not applied?

@thomas-piwik

My hosting service provides PHP version 5.4.26 and linux x86_64 2.6.32-531, Apache 2.2.26.

And I don’t know where the today selection in Piwik.

Same problem after failed update, 301 Moved Permanently .
michael-t-weber’s fix (I used NULL instead of “”, with same effect) brought back the Visitor Log, but here too with empty column “Referrer URL”.
On the settings page there was a warning:

Warning: The following plugins are not compatible with Piwik 2.5.0 and could not be loaded: Referers, ExampleFeedburner, PDFReports, GeoIP.
You can update or uninstall these plugins on the Manage Plugins page.

So I enabled the “Referrers” plugin (the compatible one with two "r"s, as replacement for the one with one “r”). All visits thereafter (counted from their first page view) seem to have now a Referrer URL.

Some background info:
On the “system check” page all checks pass, with the exception of:
Integrity check failed: /…/libs/tcpdf/include/sRGB.icc
File size mismatch: /…/plugins/Referrers/functions.php (expected length: 6985, found: 7022) - no wonder since I just changed it
Memory Limit and LOAD DATA INFILE show warnings.

Can other people that have this problem confirm they had either troubles during the update or the Referrers plugin was not activated?

@thomas-piwik: The referrer plugin was disabled for me also. But I could activate it without problems. The visitors log now works again without any problems.

Done!

Was already activated, so i deactivated and reactivated it.

All in all I must say that i am still stuck at "Piwik isn’t showing any results at all on main page, even if it IS counting visitors sigh
Hopefully there will come a fix for that soon -.-

@caylean: “Piwik isn’t showing any results at all on main page”. What exactly do you mean by that? What’s the main page? The dashboard? Are all widgets not showing anything? Maybe the problem is rather related to Aggregated data incomplete after Upgrade to 2.5.0 · Issue #6021 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub or Make ./console core:archive work on CGI (use case 1&1 hosting/managed server) · Issue #6012 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

Hi Thomas,

i meant that the Dashboard of all Pages isn’t showing anymore any results.

http://forum.piwik.org/file.php?2,file=1868

Missing part is only that there is also written:
Dashboard aller Webseiten (Gesamt: 0 Besuche, 0 Seitenansichten, Einnahmen)
Dashboard of all Websites (Overall: 0 Visitors, 0 Views, Earning)

Here i have just a flatline. But on the other hand, if i check the SQL DB i see it is still counting new visitors and also when i open a single site i can see that there are new visitors, but i have also here since the 2.5.0 Update a Flatline in the Graph

So the flatline doesn’t comes with graphic problems, cuz then i could see at least the visitor numbers…

Have you set up the archiver as a cronjob? see: How to Set up Auto-Archiving of Your Reports - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Are you archiving on the command line? If so, have a look at Aggregated data incomplete after Upgrade to 2.5.0 · Issue #6021 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub and Make ./console core:archive work on CGI (use case 1&1 hosting/managed server) · Issue #6012 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

I had once created a Cronjob, could be kind of stone age old :wink: … somewhat like December 2011 and never changed it since then.

0 	*/2 	* 	* 	* 	/usr/local/bin/php -f /home/XXXXXX/public_html/analytics/misc/cron/archive.php -- url=http://analytics.example.com/ > /dev/null

But seems like that got changed till today or I have no idea where my Cronjob comes from. Because i could have never created such a Cronjob myself :wink:

I will update the Cronjob now to the new one as shown in the FAQ and will soon see what happens.

Edit: My piwik is running as subdomain on a cPanel server… The code like that would be fine?

/usr/local/bin/php -f /home/XXX/public_html/analytics/console core:archive --url=example.com/analytics/ > /home/example/piwik-archive-output.log

The part after --url gives me a headache, because before i had it like this and it was function

-- url=http://analytics.example.com/ > /dev/null

and now it seems to be like this and have no idea if it is doing its job

--url=example.com/analytics/ > /home/example/piwik-archive-output.log

And in the End i have NO idea if THIS really is the source of my problem ^^"

Edit 2:
Three Crons are running now… lets see if one of them is doing fine… then i should see very soon my results again hope

/usr/local/bin/php -f /home/XXX/public_html/analytics/console core:archive --url=analytics.example.com/ > /home/example/piwik-archive-output.log

/usr/local/bin/php -f /home/XXX/public_html/analytics/console core:archive --url=example.com/analytics/ > /home/example/piwik-archive-output.log

/usr/local/bin/php -f /home/XXX/public_html/analytics/console core:archive --url=analytics.example.com/ >/dev/null 2>&1

WOW … i have got my server to kick me out coughs Seems like he didn’t like it to have these crons run every two minutes… but after watching the server Avagerages getting high + Two Processes that were already hitting the 77% and 55% CPU mark, i had changed it to every hour… hopefully he lets me in again soon ^^"

It also starts to show me the first results in the counter again!! Takes a while, but it does need to process the Logs of 95 Pages for the last 1 1/2 weeks or so. That should be a little work to do.

Now i have only this one last Question… Can someone tell me what Cronjob is now correct? Because i have not the slightest Idea.

Kindly