Traffic Drop-off After 2.10 Update

Hello,

I’ve recently updated a 2.8.2 installation to 2.10 and Piwik is showing a marked drop in traffic since then. Previously hovering around 500000 daily visits and uniques, has now dropped to about 1/10th or 50000. Oddly pageviews which is around 1.2 to 1.5m has stayed relatively similar pre and post.

After updating to 2.10, I followed the best security practices etc. and employed IP restrictions to all files except piwik.js / piwik.php – at first I thought this was causing issues and so I’ve turned reverted back to default setup. However, the issue of low reported visits is continuing.

Also, prior to the upgrade there were a few days where I had issues updating the piwik db and the config file may have changed, the drop in visits happens around this time. I can’t really imagine what changes to my config file could have caused, as there only seems to be plugins installed and enabled. Could a particular plugin being installed or not installed be affecting the stats?

Unfortunately, I’m still relatively new to piwik, any ideas what would cause this or checks I could perform?

Thanks!

hi there,

are you confident that the 50,000 is incorrect and that 500,000 was the correct number? in other words, are you sure it’s broken now, or maybe indeed a bug was fixed?

That was a worry but yep, traffic stats were confirmed!

Dug further and issue was due to config settings post upgrade, which removed X-Forwarded-For preferences. Server was behind AWS ELB.