Piwik Database Setup fails on 1and1.com server

I just downloaded Piwik and began the install process. My server passed the System Check with flying colors, but failed on the Database Setup. Below is the message it gives just one second after I click the Next button—

Test SQL failed to execute: CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE piwik_test_table_temp ( id INT AUTO_INCREMENT, PRIMARY KEY (id) )Error: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1005 Can’t create table ‘piwik_test_table_temp’ (errno: 13)

I host eleven websites with 1and1.com, and really like their service. I created the database on the 1and1 server, and after the ‘SQL failed’ message logged back in and saw that 15 tables had been created, but not one for ‘piwik_test_table_temp’. Not sure what would cause the failure.

I would really like to get Piwik installed and working. Does anyone else host with 1and1 and has been able to get Piwik working? I’ve tried v2.11.2 and v2.12.1, and both fail with the same message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never used 1and1 hosting service before, but I think this is should be a PDO error, as you know, Piwik need the server support PDO or MySQLi, so if 1and1 support MySQLi, when you install your Piwik instance, you can try use MySQLi instead of PDO, and see if the problem fixed or not…

Thanks bobchou for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to work any better using the MySQLi install. Here’s the error it gives—

Mysqli prepare error: Can’t create/write to file ‘/var/tmp/#sql_30d_0.MYI’ (Errcode: 13)

And if I click on the ‘Go Back’ or ‘Go To Piwik’ links on the Error page it does nothing. Before with the PDO install error it would reload the Welcome screen and start over. Now I have to remove the piwik directory and untar the tar file again. I’m thinking 1and1 might not be able to support a Piwik install.

Hi peter, I don’t think so 1&1 do not support Piwik, because you have passed the system check.
I found no matter PDO or MySQLi, they have same issue for creating a temp folder record in your database, so I think the reason of the error maybe you do not grant enough permission to “tmp” folder, after you untar the tar file, before you start installation, please try to create a “tmp” folder manually under the root directory, and give it a writable permission like 777 in your FTP. Good luck!