Piwik - Disable Cookies

Hi All,

I need to disable cookies in order to avoid having to place an annoying opt in message on our website.

i’ve found a post that suggests that it’s possible to do this but the instructions are a bit vague “disable setcookie in piwik.js”…

i have done this in pwik.js and /js/piwik.js but for some reason i still get cookies in my browser. (so i’ve probably done something / missed something)

can someone provide some additional info about disabling cookies used with Piwik? (step-by-step instructions would be great, many people must want to do this now)

Many thanks in advance for your help, keep up the great work!

D

it’s a feature request New Privacy feature: “Disable all tracking cookies” (EU Privacy regulation update) · Issue #2772 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

Hi,

Yes i did read that, however, i dont have the luxury of time to hang on for the new release.

Is there a set of manual steps that can be taken to do this now?

Sorry to seem impatient!

D

Hi,

Sorry to bump but does anyone have any idea how to do this or is the only way a new version?

Im having trouble working out why nobody else seems to be worried about the new cookie laws…

D

We will implement the new feature in next release

Hi Matt,

Thanks again for your reply, do you have a rough timeframe for the release of the next version?

D

Hi

Yeh it would be good to get an update on this.

I have seen a lot of third party sites recommending Piwik as a cookie free analytics solution, but it looks like it actually isn’t yet? :S

Hi,

Yes a reply would be great! :slight_smile:

i’ve done a lot of digging and there are few (if any) practical solutions to this issue.

the business man in me says there’s a huge (read HUUUUUGE) opportunity for piwik to up their market share if they had come up with a soluton to this issue…

still theres 4 days to go so hope isnt lost yet…

D

yes we will add this feature in the next release due before end of month!

That’s great news!

Build it and they will come! :slight_smile:

D

Great! Law came into effect today.

yes and as of friday we’re all on the run from the rozzers! :slight_smile:

D

It is now implemented in trunk, see: New Privacy feature: "Disable all tracking cookies" (EU Privacy regulation update) · Issue #2772 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

you can call piwikTracker.disableCookies();

You can test this new version here: 301 Moved Permanently

This is rather good news! I downloaded the RC and had a go, but I’m not too sure what I’m doing to be honest.

I added piwikTracker.disableCookies(); to the tracking code but no difference, it still places cookies.

I then replaced the minified piwik.js with the source found at js/piwik.js and changed configCookiesDisabled to true, sure enough this disabled cookies but it also stopped any data coming in :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Got it. You have to put disableCookies BEFORE trackPageView. If you put it after, it doesn’t work.