Wishing a report of referrers

Hi!
Here comes a wish:
We would like a report showing where traffic comes from to a single page. It would be very useful to us if there was a report showing us traffic or referrers to our pages. It would be a lot like a transition report showing where the traffic comes from on each page.

A simple example to illustrate: imagine there is a searchbox where you can put an url from your site (for example: www.startpage) and you get back a list of all pages visitors have visited before coming to this page (www.startpage).
And it would be great to be able to choose different dates (a day, week, month or an intervall).

Now you think we could get that information in the transition report, but no. Here’s why;
The transition report only works on the /index page which only includes a very very small portion of the visits to that page. So it is of no use to us unfortunately. The attached picture shows you the big gap between a page and its /index-page (in green frames) and that it is only the /index-page that has the transition-icon (in red frame).

Now you think we could get the information we need in the Visitor Log-report and export it, but no. Here’'s why;
Our site has many visits so in order to get the Visitor Log-report to cover a month we have to set filter_limit to several thousands (>10 000) and Piwik can’t handle that. Here’s an example that doesn’t work:
http://piwik.vgregion.se/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&idSite=43&period=month&date=2014-08-13#/module=Live&action=indexVisitorLog&idSite=43&period=month&date=2014-08-13&flat=1&filter_limit=50000

Now you think we could get the information we need under the tab Referrers and in the report Websites & Social, but no. Here’s why:
The report Websites & Social show traffic coming from outside your site, and it does not show which pages the visitors from an outside site/page visited on your site.

Since information about referrers already is collected by Piwik I hope it would be easy for you to expand and improve the report of referrers. I wouldn’t want to give you too much trouble. :wink:

I hope I could present our problem so you understood, but if you have any questions just let me know and I’ll try answering them.

Thanks for you time!

Best regards,
E

Hello,

The transition report only works on the /index page which only includes a very very small portion of the visits to that page.

Normally transition should work on all pages, do you know why it’s only working for you on the index page?

For your problem I would think Transitions is best way to go :slight_smile: it was designed for this exact purpose ! (as well as showing “Next” pages)

Hi again!
No, I don’t have any idea why the transition does not work on all pages. I thought it was supposed to work only on /index-pages.
It’s the same for Page overlay- it only works on the /index-page as well.

Do you have any idea where we can start looking to fix this problem that seems to be in our installation?

I don’t know if it is important but we have inactivated all plugins starting with ExampleXX (like ExampleAPI) and Insights. So except from those all plugins are activated.

Can you give us any hint? That would make us happy.

//
E

Can you give us any hint? That would make us happy.

Maybe try this: http://piwik.org/faq/troubleshooting/faq_162/#faq_162

Thanks for the tip! We have set up Piwik to delete logs so perhaps that is why the Transition report doesn’t work.
We’ll look into it and get back to you.
//E

Hi again!
Could you tell us more about how the Transision report uses the logs? And which logs it needs?

The Transisiton report/ function does not work for us. :frowning:

We delete logs after 60 days and during this time we get the Transition report but only on the index-pages as i described earlier and showed you in the picture.

Is there some way to configure the Transition report/ function?

You said:

For your problem I would think Transitions is best way to go :slight_smile: it was designed for this exact purpose ! (as well as showing “Next” pages)

This requires that we save all logs for all times. That will probably make the database grow a lot.
Perhaps you could make this more obvious in the support information on: http://piwik.org/faq/troubleshooting/faq_162/#faq_162​ .

Since we haven’t saved all our logs we only have 60 days of Transition-data to use, and it only works on the index-pages!
I wonder if it wouldn’t be better to create a kind of report like Pages, Pagetitles, Outlinks, Downloads etc etc. Wouldn’t that be better seen from the forever growing database view? Or am I thinking wrong here… :wink:

Grateful for your input!
//E

Could you tell us more about how the Transision report uses the logs? And which logs it needs?

see http://piwik.org/docs/transitions/