Piwik does not count Firefox

I got around a 10% of increase on Firefox users logs with DNT deactivated but I don’t know if It would be for the DNT or for noscript error.

hello,
I have same problem after updating Piwik.

Piwik do not track Firefox users (test with Firefox 10 without extensions).

Do you have any javascript error in firefox ?

I have not javascript error in Firefox.

Another information of my test:

• cms: wordpress
  • wordpress plugin: “WP-Piwik” (all exclusions disabled)

[quote=reweb]
hello,
I have same problem after updating Piwik.

Piwik do not track Firefox users (test with Firefox 10 without extensions).[/quote]
The same problem i got here. Please, help :frowning:

I’m having this issue with FF too after having just installing Piwik 1.9.2

Chrome and IE are being tracked without problems

I’m using current version of FF and Piwik isnt seeing the visits unless I deactivate the DoNotTrack plugin.

I also had someone else visit the site using FF on their machine and their visit was not tracked either.

Google Analytics has tracked both mine and other person’s FF visits without issue.

In Piwik 1.9 and 1.9.2 I dont’t being tracked again with noscript plugin installed even with do not track deactivated in Firefox and Piwik, and the site is added to whitelist in noscript.

Maybe It’s a Piwik bug?

Hi saky,
as I pointed out in july, do not track is always sent if you have noscript installed. No matter what you do choose in the firefox config or having on the noscript whitelist.

Right Pepe82 but in old Piwik versions if I deactivated the donottrack support in Piwik the visitor was tracked properly. Currently not.

I just updated Piwik and gave it a try with DNT switched on in FF (checked the headers to make sure). It works perfectly for me… Maybe it’s because I deactivated the do not track plugin in Piwik completely?

I tested Piwik with Firefox clean installation and Piwik 1.9.2 does not work anymore with Firefox.
At this time I had to leave Piwik :frowning:

[quote=pepe82]
I just updated Piwik and gave it a try with DNT switched on in FF (checked the headers to make sure). It works perfectly for me… Maybe it’s because I deactivated the do not track plugin in Piwik completely?[/quote]

Completely? How?

I went to peferences -> plugins and deactivated DoNotTrack. I just rechecked my version of FF and Piwik, and it works out for me so far.

Thanks for the tip… I will try this now, since I’ve seen an 85% drop in visitors since switching from imported access_logs to javascript tracking (around the same time as when I updated to 1.9)

There is a big drop anyway, because all the bots and spiders don’t use javascript… In my serverlogs I see a big number of search engines and crawlers that search for copyrighted pictures etc.

true, but there shouldn’t be an 70-80% difference in real visitors, either, right?

I wasn’t counting bot visits when I imported the logs from earlier this year (Just for that big main site), visits between July-September averaged between 350k-400k per month. For that same one site, October visits went down to around 315k, November visits dropped to around 120k, and now December visits are only at around 35k so far for the month.

Sure, there’s usually some holiday dropoff, but that’s a bit drastic to me.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I upgraded to Piwik 1.9 around October 10-12th, then upgraded again to 1.9.3-b7 around December 10-12th.

My other sites being tracked are also running 30-40% lower than previous months, and those sites have all been using the javascript tracker since they were first set up, months ago. Typically by this time of the month, numbers are closer to 10-20% lower until the last couple days of the month.

Because it is the holiday season, and people are busy doing other things rather than distracting themselves reading these sites, I figured I’d wait until January to see if things leveled back up to where October’s numbers had been, but finding this thread made me want to try something else sooner, to see if it made a difference or not.

So, we’ll see :slight_smile:

I was looking at some data, and I have a question…

This is what the cron archving output currently says:

Archived website id = 1, period = day, Time elapsed: 4.959s
Archived website id = 1, period = week, 12282 visits, Time elapsed: 4.233s
[b]Archived website id = 1, period = month, 154685 visits, Time elapsed: 119.658s[/b]
ERROR: Got invalid response from API request: /index.php?module=API&method=VisitsSummary.getVisits&idSite=1&period=year&date=last2&format=php&trigger=archivephp. The response was empty. This usually means a server error. This solution to this error is generally to increase the value of 'memory_limit' in your php.ini file. Please check your Web server Error Log file for more details.
Archived website id = 1, period = year, 0 visits, Time elapsed: 1917.183s
Archived website id = 1, today = 1487 visits, 4 API requests, Time elapsed: 2046.034s [1/10 done]

(Pay no attention to that error… it’s being thoroughly chewed on in another thread) :slight_smile:

What number is Piiwik telling me about Site 1 for month visits?

Because 154685 is the total visits for November and December combined, from Nov 1 thru today, but when I view “All Websites”, it tells me that Site 1 has 34450 visits for December.

If I change it to a date range, say 11/25 thru 12/25, I get a total of 41767 visits (which is way low, still). So, what “month” is Piwik calculating for the archiving, and why is that different from the “All Websites” display?

the number is just the sum of visits from the API resposne but it can change on each execution because the script will call the minimal required period to force processing… so it will vary

Dear community,
I have the same problem: I’m using Piwik since a few weeks and am very happy with it EXCEPT OF one thing: Piwik seems to track all browsers such as Chrome and IE perfectly. But: When I use my default browser Mozilla Firefox only the first main/log in page of the tracked page is counted, no further single pages. Sometimes it seems as it would not track Mozilla Firefox at all.

I read about your solutions but found no one that is working for me. :disappointed_relieved:

I work with Piwik 2.15.0 and Firefox 42.0 (DoNotTrack is deactivated, no “NoScript” plug in is installed).

PLEASE can somebody help?

Hi @Chris-sy
I’m not sure what could the problem be in your case. Maybe you could debug the Piwik tracker to learn more? Tracking HTTP API: API Reference - Matomo Analytics (formerly Piwik Analytics) - Developer Docs - v3

if you find more information please let us know. Also check you are using Piwik 2.15.0