[ANSWERED] Database Abstraction Layer

hi folks,

i searched for a free/opensource web analytics software cause i hate google analytics and found piwik. it looks candy and useful for that what i have seen so far.

the requirements showed me that i must use mysql. my problem is, i already run postgresql and it is a lot better than mysql … my opinion style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif. piwik is using pdo to connect to mysql, so its really easy to add functionality for postgresql. if piwik would be database-independend it would be a lot better style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Hi folks,

in professional Hosting environments or big companies mysql is a low budget way to enable basic database functionalities for an application, but without the ability to change the PDO database Driver/Modell this great Framework won’t be accepted, but it has to get it’s chance there as well!

I studied the piwik Installer and sources for a while and can’t see any reason why mysql should be the only possible PDO driven database for piwik.

The main Reason currently is caused by missing installer classes, which will give the installer the ability to create the required Database Structures on other Databases, like DB2 or postgres for example. The Database Layout is fine, but the installer for example is not a Database Independent one.

So, if there are interested developers please ensure that your plugin will follow the PDO diver modell, so that piwik and your Plugin will work on any PDO supported Database for now and in future.

Don’t hesitate to answer we and let hear if there any others out there with the same requirements.

Thanks
Martin

please see http://piwik.org/faq/installation/#faq_55

if any “huge company” would like to contribute “a bit of code” to make this happen, they are most welcome.

Howdy Matthieu,

thanks for the little hint of kalando, i’ll try to help the piwik project in this case.

I’ll have the mission in the next weeks within an company project to make it happen for our nearly 800 websites. The main reason is that we have here our own architectual and database principles (IBM DB2 and ORACLE only). MySQL ist not accepted for productive environment. As well i’ve inspected the PDO Extentions for these and found that the OCI (ORACLE) PDO Extention has no acceptable code quality, but the IBM DB2 one is most up to date.

So i’ll check out the code of klando, will see what’s possible and refound the results to the piwik project.

I’ll hold you up to date.

Cheers
Martin

[quote=matthieu @ Mar 11 2009, 02:47 AM]please see http://piwik.org/faq/installation/#faq_55

if any “huge company” would like to contribute “a bit of code” to make this happen, they are most welcome.[/quote]

Is there any further update on this. Were we able to install piwik with Oracle DB?