Different totals for unique visitors in Referrer type versus Visit Summary

Hi guys,

I have a question for you. On one day in Piwik I get the the following numbers in Referrer Type on nb_uniq_visitors
Search Engines 131, Direct Entry 70, Websites 15. Total of 216

But looking at the Visit Summary I get a total of 203 on nb_uniq_visitors. Total visitors doesn’t match either…

I was expecting these numbers would be the same. Anyone got a clue?? Thanks…

Hi there,

A same Unique Visitor can visit, on a given day, from both Websites and/or Direct entry and/or Campaign and/or Search engine. Hence why the sum of unique visitors may differ.

Makes perfectly sense, thanks Matt :slight_smile:

Hello everyone!
I’m seeing a variation of this problem and can’t find a suitable explanation.

In the “Acquisition > Campaigns” report, the sum of “unique visitros” from each referrer source does not equal the total number of unique visitors.

I understand that a unique visitor is not added twice to the total number of visitors if he or she uses two different channels - in both cases it’s the same unique visitor.

But the number of unique visitors in the respective channels should therefore be higher (if you sum them up) than the total number of unique visitors. Or am I wrong?

Why is the total number of “unique visitors” higher than the sum of the unique visitors in the individual referrer channels?

Hi @sPanse
Your report contains several pages…
Also, maybe there is a category “Other” in the last page.
Maybe the answer is there?
(Which version do you run?)

Hi there @heurteph-ei, thanks for your reply!

Nope, I checked this: The whole report lists 52 referrer-sources, the csv export gives me 138 unique users in total.
Currently we use v. 5.00

Hi @sPanse
On your screenshot I already see 85 unique visitors, but there is 4 more pages (on the subtable). Check on the last page of the subtable…

Hi there @heurteph-ei.

• The report consist of 54* sources in total
  • The last source is “other”
  • Those “other soruces” contain 2 visitors in total

As stated before: I exported the whole report to csv and summed alle traffic sources: this gave me a total of 132 unique visitors.

(*) As you mentioned before, the screenshot shows page one of five. Every source on every other page contains max 1 visitor (as the report is sortd by visitors)

In total you cant see 4 * 10 + 2 (other category) visitors, listed on page 2 and following.

As far as I can tell, I’m not missing something here. I think it might have more to do with the metric “unique visitor”.

Alle the best

Benedikt

Hi @sPanse
I don’t see any report with only Unique visitor as unique column (if I understand well « eindutige Besucher »). It is then hard for me to understand the source of your problem. Isn’t your screenshot a Custom Report?

Hi there @heurteph-ei, thanks for your reply.

The source of the report is:

Hi @sPanse
I don’t understand either why the report shows 217 unique visitors for campaigns, and a lower sum of unique visitors when adding distinct unique visitors for each campaign. It should be equal or greater (ex if a visitor comes twice form 2 different campaigns he will be counted only once for the campaign acquisition).
Could you maybe update to last Matomo V5 (as 5.0.0 may have bugs) and then invalidate old archive and reprocess them?

Hi @heurteph-ei, thanks for your reply.

I don’t understand either why the report shows 217 unique visitors for campaigns, and a lower sum of unique visitors when adding distinct unique visitors for each campaign. It should be equal or greater (ex if a visitor comes twice form 2 different campaigns he will be counted only once for the campaign acquisition).

Thats exactly the reason why I opened this ticket in the first place.

No. I cant update the MATOMO right now. In my opinion this has to do with the method, unique visitors are counted and added to channels.

1 Like

Hi @sPanse
I invite you to create a ticket at: