Google new coded urls not showing keywords

I’m shocked that nobody seems to care about this. “Keyword not defined” is now the new rule for google. It seems only searches from mobiles still return keywords in url, hence keywords useful for Piwik. Searches from computer return an url with coded parameters.

Are the personal of Piwik interested to decode those urls? Are advanced users, programmers, interested in decoding google’s urls? Otherwise, there will be a bitter end of all other web analytics, except Google Analytics.

Google Analytics also doesn’t have access to search keywords.

Please try to view the change more objectively:

• Google uses SSL to protect users from being spied on
  • Not sending keywords is something the browsers do, and therefore just a result of Google using SSL
  • Google is harming their own service (GA) - it is not meant as a way to discriminate alternative analytics solutions

I understand that people are upset about the implications of the change, but try not to see this as an “attack” against analytics platforms.

“It seems only searches from mobiles still return keywords in url,”

Where did you get that information? I just tried it, and there are no keywords being sent from my mobile.

[quote=“Fabian Becker”]
… Not sending keywords is something the browsers do, and therefore just a result of Google using SSL…[/quote]

This is not quite exact. Please look in the source of google pages, when returns results for a keyword search and you’ll see that the information about keyword is not specified as the old pages did, I mean clear, plain text, now is encoded. Google needs to know for his metrics which link from result page was clicked by the user and for which keyword and this is transmitted to google by url, only now is encoded and the single thing intelligible there is the url of the site.

[quote=“Fabian Becker”]
…“It seems only searches from mobiles still return keywords in url,”

Where did you get that information? I just tried it, and there are no keywords being sent from my mobile.[/quote]

From Piwik. I have numerous sites that reports keywords coming form mobile platforms. There are the only keywords I can see in Piwik now.

Keywords are taken from the referrer and in the URL of the search results the keyword is still present: Google

If you click on the first result the url looks like this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpiwik.org%2F&ei=OpREUrPXO4HLtQbYrIDoDQ&usg=AFQjCNF_MGJRqKPvaKuUokHtZ3VvNG9ALw

In this url you can see piwik.org very clear, but the rest is encoded. The keyword “piwik” is hidden in this long string. In this string is encoded the position of the site, in this case first, and the keyword, in this case “piwik”. Are you eager to decode this? I’m asking if addressing this problem is on your to do list. I’m asking if you are planning to resolve this problem.

this is not a problem to be resolved: google does NOT send the keyword data anymore. Thanks.

Hi,

Am managing a clothing ecommerce site and struggling to know the organic keywords data in analytics please help me out how i can track all these important keywords.

I have setup Ecommerce conversion “not provided” visits contributes 50% of mine revenue/conversions so it is very vital information for me.

Thanks

Good news: you can now use our new Search Engine Keywords Performance plugin which lets you import your Google, Bing and Yahoo keywords into your Piwik. Learn more about the reports provided and how to import keywords on the plugin page and in the Search Keywords Monitor User Guide.