New install of Piwik 2.16.1 - receive"GET request to piwik.php failed."

Installing Piwik 2.16.1 on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS. Stuck at the System Check with the message above.

The error.log file message is below. Sure enough, there is no file in /var/www/piwik/config/config.ini.php

However, there is a file named /var/www/piwik/config/global.ini.php.

Any thoughts?

See update below

[Thu Jul 07 08:57:54.337334 2016] [:error] [pid 28290] [client 64.222.236.200:60707] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'The configuration file {/var/www/piwik/config/config.ini.php} has not been found or could not be read.' in /var/www/piwik/core/Application/Kernel/EnvironmentValidator.php:63\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/piwik/core/Application/Kernel/EnvironmentValidator.php(44): Piwik\\Application\\Kernel\\EnvironmentValidator->checkConfigFileExists('/var/www/piwik/...', false)\n#1 /var/www/piwik/core/Application/Environment.php(185): Piwik\\Application\\Kernel\\EnvironmentValidator->validate()\n#2 /var/www/piwik/core/Application/Environment.php(94): Piwik\\Application\\Environment->validateEnvironment()\n#3 /var/www/piwik/piwik.php(56): Piwik\\Application\\Environment->init()\n#4 {main}\n  thrown in /var/www/piwik/core/Application/Kernel/EnvironmentValidator.php on line 63

Update: I’m installing on my own VPS (with root access). I attempted re-install and kept better notes of what I did.

Then connect to my host in my browser to start the web-based installation. I get to the System Check page and see the 500 Error for Tracker status with the “GET request to piwik.php failed.” message.

I do not have HTTP Authentication or mod_security running on this host (at least, none of the other virtual hosts see these errors.) Any thoughts? Thanks!

What do you see in your server error log file? there should be a useful error message there.

Thanks for the speedy response.

I pasted the error.log message in the original post. Basically, it says that the file /var/www/piwik/config/config.ini.php can’t be found.

Could you please create a bug report @richb-hanover here: Issues · matomo-org/piwik · GitHub
as I suspect other users have the problem we need to find an official solution and make sure this bug goes away in Piwik. Thanks!

Done. See New install of Piwik 2.16.1 incorrectly reports Tracker Status 500 "GET request to piwik.php failed." · Issue #10283 · matomo-org/piwik · GitHub