Piwik-Tracker renamed to "Adnymics Analytics"?

Hi,
since some days - I gues it was after the updating to 2.16.5 - the Ghostery Add-On in my browser identified an tracker named “Adnymics Analytics” instead of “Piwik Analytics”.
What does this mean? Is the Piwik-Tracker renamed?
I gues then we have to adapt our privacy statements?
Thanks
Bernhard

Hi @bhenselmann

We haven’t renamed anything related to Piwik. It must be a bug in Ghostery. Can you reproduce this on piwik.org as well? If so, would be great if you can report this issue to ghostery. thanks

Hi Matthieu,
yes, it´s the same on piwik.org.
Now I´ve just installed a fresh Ghostery and now “Piwik Analytics” is back!
Thanks for helping!!
Bernhard

Hi @matthieu, @bhenselmann,

just stumbled onto the post and wanted to clear things up about what happend here. We are a Startup from Germany and make use of Piwik for Data Collection for our customers. We want to be transparent and reported our unique server dns name to Ghostery to be displayed as “Adnymics Analytics”. Somehow they renamed it for all Piwik Instances which was not our intend. As soon as we figured that out we got it resolved.

We apologize for the confusion.

Thank you for building such great software,
Florian

1 Like

Hi Florian @fkaufmann and @matthieu,
thanks for this info. I allready thought I´m crazy or my computers are.
As I wrote before, with fresh install of Ghostery, “Piwik Analytics” came back - but after a while until today “Adnymics Analytics” returns to be displayed.
For me it sounds very strange, that anybody could change the displayed name of all Piwik Instances (I guess on my computer). Is this standard?
Thanks
Bernhard

Hi @bhenselmann and @matthieu.

your welcome. I rechecked and as it seems Ghostery has not yet pushed out the update. They now told us the update will be released today. We keep you posted.

Its not an Issue of piwik but rather of Ghostery. They identify the trackers based on some identifying Information like the dnsname or tracking script name. And the identified Tracker name is what you see in Ghostery. They provide a way to tell them about your tracker and its identifying information: Submit a Tracker - Ghostery. So we only wanted to change the Tracker name for Piwik Trackers of the dnsname “*.adnymics.com” but they did it for all the trackers. Its strange yes but part of how Ghostery works.

Best,
Florian

Hi @bhenselmann and @matthieu,

the update they were speaking off was deployed but it did not fix the issue as it seems. We will talk to them again next week to see what is going on.

Best,
Florian

Hi @bhenselmann and @matthieu,

It appears to have been a browser caching issue on my side. I tested it on the lastest firefox and chrome with ghostery. Now the Tracker ist displayed correctly as “Piwik” again.

If you still have issues you can try the following steps which helped me:

Best,
Florian